Zhenya talks about the New Year traditions, her school performances as a child and the presents she gives and gets. This time there is no place for trainings and competitions – only holiday mood! And I wish you all to get inspired by this magical sense and enter the year 2010 with happiness, joy and love!
Original Russian Text Link, please check here: (WanWan)
New Year is the time for wonders. The Rhythmic Gymnastics Olympic Champion Evgenia Kanaeva all of a sudden turned out to be a Snow Maiden, decorated our editorial office with her presence and received congratulations from Santa Claus.
– What a traffic jam there was! – said the gymnast as soon as she crossed the threshold of our office.
To tell the truth, we were waiting for Zhenya for a long time in the office. She doesn’t have much free time, and moreover it took her two hours to get here from Novogorsk. It is European Santa Clauses who can
fly by air on their deer relay and land on the roofs of the houses, but our
Snow Maidens have to put up with Moscow’s
– How and where will the Olympic Champion celebrate the New Year?
– I am going to Omsk. Finally I will see everyone – my
granny, my mom and my brother. I am waiting for it so much, because I visit
home very seldom. Maybe I will even decorate the Christmas tree. I don’t know
why, but I feel that some surprise is expecting me at home.
– Maybe it is your favorite dish?
– Oh, I love fruit salad! But I will make it myself.
I don’t know what more will be prepared for the holiday table – my granny is in
charge. She is the chief cook and the main inventor.
– Unlike you, many sportsmen prefer to spend holidays on the sea shore.
– Oh, no! New Year is a family holiday; it must be celebrated within the family. You tell me they go to the sea together with their families? But there is no snow, no Christmas tree… I wouldn’t want to celebrate New Year somewhere in Australia or in Africa. Not in any exotic place, not
even in space. Only at home near the Christmas tree I can feel the real holiday
-Won’t you freeze in cold Siberia after rainy Moscow?
– I hope there will not be severe frosts. And I hope there won’t be such traffic jams like in Moscow.
CARTOON IN A FELT BOOT
-We already know what we shall wish you for New Year – to avoid traffic jams.
But what kind of present do you want to get?
– I always ask people not to give me any presents. But they never listen. Usually I get an animal toy – a symbol of the coming year according to Oriental calendar. I already have monkeys, rats. This year I will most probably get a tiger.
-Hopefully not a real one! Which present was the most memorable for you?
– I remember when I was a little girl, I don’t even know how old I was, and Santa Clause brought me and my brother a cartoon movie “Anastasia”. It was wonderful! That time I was dreaming of watching it! But our Santa Clause never left the presents under the Christmas tree. We had a little tradition to place a felt boot in front of the door. You know some people hang the stockings to collect the presents, and in Siberia we used to put out the felt boots. So our Santa put the film into the boot. We didn’t write any letter that year. Probably he could read our thoughts. He can do everything!
– And then you realized that it was your mom, and not the Santa…
– It happened later, at the age of 8-9 probably. My brother told me there was no Santa Clause but we would write a letter anyway.
– Zhenya, you came to us as a Snow Maiden. And who you used to dress up as at
– Baba-Yaga. (*a scary old shrew – a character of Russian fairy tales)
– Yes, really. All children dressed up as squirrels or snow flakes. We were staging a play and my teacher decided that I would be Baba-Yaga.
– And you burst into tears?
– Not at all! That time it made no difference for me who to perform as. They gave me some shabby old rags to put on. It was very funny. We used to play and dance around the Christmas tree.
– What did Santa give to you for that impressive character?
– Something sweet.
– Who would you, as a Snow Maiden, choose for Santa’s role? Imagine that all the
men of the world are in front of you…
– Hmm! Even if there were all the men, I would choose my brother Egor! He is three years older than me and as a child he used to put on Santa’s costume. So he has experience.
– Is he a sportsman as well?
– He is a student of Physical training department and he does wrestling.
– Well, half of the girls of your age would choose Sergey Bezroukov. (* very famous young actor)
– Well, I like actors of course, Richard Gere for example, and many others. But I can’t say that I bliss out about them. That’s why my brother would have to be Santa.
– To continue the movie theme, what is the main New Year film for you?
– Of course, “An irony of fate or Hope you enjoyed your bath”! (* a very famous Russian
comedy movie telling a funny story which happened once on the New Year’s Eve)
I watch it every year and it gives me the holiday mood. I also like the sequel
of it. So you were right to mention Sergey Bezroukov. (* Bezroukov was a star of the sequel)
– When did you make a snowman last time?
– Two years ago. It was during our winter camp. It started to snow outside and we decided to make a snowman with other girls. We made a pretty big one. But we couldn’t find a carrot to make his nose, so we used a cone. The coaches didn’t see us. If they did, I don’t know what they would say.
– Is New Year your favorite holiday?
– I have two favorite holidays – New Year and my birthday. But I like New Year more. You know I never celebrate my birthday at home. I am always at competitions or training camps. I have never had a celebration at home. But this year the girls from our team made a real surprise for me: while I was practicing, they blew up the balloons, put them into my
room and wrote a wish on each of them. It was really cool!
– What do you usually give as a present to the ones you love?
– Oh, I love to give presents! Even more that to get them. Once for New Year I gave my coach an embroidered picture. I did it myself. The present made with your own hands is always more dear. But anyway, any time you give presents, the person who gets them is happy. A person would never say: Oh, I don’t need it! At least, I have not met this kind of people
– Was it your mom and granny who taught you embroidery?
– No, some girl in the national team has started it and everyone “got infected” with it. But now there is no time for embroidery.
THERE CALLED THE SANTA CLAUS
Later our readers connected the conversation on phone, though they had already lost the hope to hear Zhenya after a long waiting.
– I am Victor Tambovsky from Chimki. Zhenya you are so young and beautiful. How is your life in Novogorsk, how do you spend your free time?
– Our sport complex in Novogorsk is really great. There are wonderful facilities for trainings, rest and rehabilitation. Maybe we even have the best conditions in the whole country. But I don’t have any free time. But if I have some, I try to sleep.
– A new device of bio circulation was bought for Novogorsk center. It has already
helped the players of “Rubin” football club to have a successful season. How
did you like it?
– It is a new device. I only tried it once. It is sort of special pants filled with air which changes the pressure inside. People say it works miracles. But the effect will be seen in a month.
Then there was a call from the main fan of the Snow Maiden. He lives in Great Ustyug and even has his own residence there. (* Great Ustyug – place on the north of Russia
where Russian Santa Claus is believed to live)
– Hello Zhenya, it is Santa Claus. I have just finished my meeting with
University students and I couldn’t help congratulating you on the New Year. I
wish you happiness and luck! Tell me, how did you behave yourself this year?
– Oh, what a surprise! Thanks for your wishes! I hope I was a good girl and I worked hard to reach the maximum result in sports.
– Then after a new victory I’ll be waiting for you at my home in Great Ustyug!
– Thank you! I am dressed up as a Snow Maiden now. But I don’t go to Ustyug; I’ll go to Omsk
to celebrate the New Year with my family.
Well, we will be waiting for this historical meeting of Santa Clause with his Snow Maiden after the first victory of the coming year. It won’t take long!
Chinese translated by WanWan
新年是帶來驚喜的時候，韻律體操奧運冠軍 Evgenia Kanaeva突然化身為白雪少女/ Snow Madein (在俄羅斯Snow Madein一般說是聖誕老人的女兒) 以她的裝扮妝點了我們報社辦公室並接受聖誕老人的祝福。
-Baba Yaga (一個嚇人的女巫婆，俄羅斯一個童話故事裡的角色)
– 嗯…即使有全世界的男人讓我挑選，但我還是會選我哥哥-Egor! 他大我三歲，在他孩童時期，他經常穿上聖誕老人的服裝，他有經驗。
–有一半你這年紀的女孩會選Sergey Bezroukov (俄羅斯很有名的年輕男演員)。
-嗯，當然我也喜歡演員，譬如: Richard Gere，還有很多其他人。但我對他們沒有感到那麼狂熱/ 欣喜若狂，這是為什麼我哥哥必須當聖誕老人。
–當然是-“An irony of fate or Hope you enjoyed your bath”!
(非常有名的俄羅斯喜劇，是描述發生在新年前夕的有趣故事)。我每年新年都看，它帶給我節慶的心情。我也喜歡它的續集。所以你提到Sergey Bezroukov是對的. (* Bezroukov是這系列電影的明星)。
–我是來自Chimki的Victor Tambovsky。Zhenya，你是如此年輕又漂亮，你在Novogorsk的生活是怎樣的呢? 空閒時你都做什麼?
然後一位白雪少女的重要粉絲打電話進來了。他住在Great Ustyug，甚至在這裡也有住所。(* Great Ustyug –在俄羅斯北部，傳說是俄羅斯聖誕老人居住的地方)
-Oh，What a surprise! 謝謝你的祝福。我希望我是個好女孩，而我很認真訓練以便在比賽中取得好成績。
-謝謝你! 我現在裝扮成白雪少女，但我不會去Ustyug; 我要回OMSK跟我的家人一起慶祝新年。
Note by WanWan: 我終於趕在台灣新年之前將這篇非常溫暖充滿節慶氣氛的訪問中譯完成了。