Correspondent Boris KHODOROVSKY
Released on 08.Apr.2010
Original Article Link: http://sport-weekend.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4511&Itemid=1
The Olympic Champion of Beijing – about her birthday, new style and impressions from the figure skating
Previous week-end the triumphant of the Olympics in Beijing Evgenia Kanaeva confirmed her highest class one more time during the World Cup held in Saint-Petersburg. She has won the All Around with the great score, and then got all the gold medals in Event finals. After the competition was over, Evgenia gave an interview to our correspondent.
Birthday in the training hall
– Is it hard for the Olympic Champion and the leader of the world Rhythmic Gymnastics to concentrate upon a usual World Cup?
– First of all, this World Cup was held in Russia, therefore we needed to show the best we could to our fans. Secondly, the strongest gymnasts from the whole world took part in that competition and I am very happy that I managed to win the All Around and the Finals.
– One day before the beginning of the competition you had your 20th birthday. How did you celebrate it?
– In the training hall. As long as we prepare for the European Championship, there is no time to think about any celebration.
– After the Olympics in Beijing which you won absolutely brilliantly, the rules have changed and your style has changed as well…
– I am very pleased that now a great importance is paid to artistic execution. I like to create new images. Of course, we try to make our routines more difficult, but now there is more harmony in them.
– The Head Coach of the Russian National Team Irina Viner said that after Beijing you began to work out in the gym even more…
– I like to perform very much, and in order to make it successfully, to satisfy the audience and myself I need to work a lot. Even having reached some high results in sports, one shouldn’t stop. I don’t like to use the old knowledge. The audience must be happy watching me perform my routines beautifully, and not watching the Olympic Champion Kanaeva always dropping the apparatus.
– Do you take part in creation of your routines or you absolutely trust your coaches and choreographers?
– I work with a great choreographer Irina Zenovka who has created all the four routines for this season. She can perform all the elements she puts into my program. She is a wonderful person! Lucy Dimitrova, the choreographer of the national Team, also helps a lot. And of course my coaches Vera Stelbaums and Irina Viner take part in creation as well.
– It must be hard to have your own voice inside such a professional team…
– You are mistaken. How could I perform on a music I don’t like? It would be an immediate failure. Of course, my opinion is taken into consideration. There are very wise people working in the Russian National team.
It is a pity that Kapranova and Sessina retired so early
– After the Olympic Games in Beijing there was change of generations in Russian RG team. Olga Kapranova and Vera Sessina have retired and they were replaced by two Darias – Dmitrieva and Kondakova, and also Yana Lukonina. Do you feel the pressure of the ambitious pursuers?
– No I don’t. For me the main rival is myself. Of course, I watch the girls performing their routines in the training hall, but I never do it on the competitions. I always fight with myself and wish all the girls from the Russia team success. It’s a pity that Kapranova and Sessina retired so early. They were great gymnasts; in the National Team they were called ballerinas for their outstanding qualities.
– If it’s not a secret, how are you called in the team?
– Simply Zhenya.
– In Omsk RG School you were called Mother Teresa for trying to help everyone around…
– Now they don’t call me like this, the years spent in professional sport leave their mark on the character.
– In one of the interviews you said that you dreamed of learning playing piano, painting and English language…
– I keep dreaming of it. Before finishing the sportive career it is quite difficult to do something else, and so far I am not going to retire. We’ll live and see what will happen after sport. I would like to try many things.
There is no comeback to gymnastics
– Have you watched the Winter Olympics?
– I paid attention only at the male figure skating competition. I was supporting Evgeny Plushchenko.
– On your opinion, did he deserve the Gold?
– I am not the judge to speak about the performances of the skaters. Plushchenko is a great skater for he managed to come back to sports after a three-year break. And if the judges put him on the second place then it should be like this.
– Could you come back to gymnastics after a three-year break?
– No, it would be impossible. A gymnast who missed even one season cannot come back.
– And what about Kabaeva and Tchashina who missed the whole season because of disqualification.
– But they never left. They didn’t perform at the competitions but they continued to exercise two times a day. It was a hard time for the girls, but they did a great job. They managed to overcome all the difficulties and proved everyone who they were. They are great athletes as well.
– Do you keep in touch with Alina and Irina?
– No, they live their own lives and we don’t really meet. It’s good that they have found their places in life after the retirement. Sometimes it happens that the champions cannot do it, and it is very hard.
Mom always tells the truth
– Do you live in Moscow or Omsk now?
– I live in the training center. I visit Moscow oftener than Omsk, but I try to come home as soon as it’s possible. We practically have no vacations, only for New Year.
– You mom is a Master of Sports in rhythmic Gymnastics. Does she ever dare to give you any advice?
– Sometimes. She can even say me unpleasant things. She goes like, you’ve gained half a kilo and you don’t look good on the carpet. Mom always tells the truth and I am glad to have such an advisor. It is much better than to hear from your relatives: “Wow, Zhenechka, you are so good! Come and eat one pie!”
– Does the diet problem exist for you?
– Not really, but sometimes I have to refuse from certain things. I have to leave up to the status of the Olympic Champion and be the example for the young gymnasts!
P.S. A news clip for RUS team preparing EC 2010
Thanks GX for this beautiful photo
中譯: Zoe Wan
Evegnia Kanaeva: 他們不再稱呼我「德蕾莎修女」了
– 俄羅斯國家隊主教練 Irina Viner說北京奧運之後你在體育館練的更勤…
– 我跟一個很棒的編舞者合作-Irina Zenovka 今年四個成套都是她編的。她能做所有她編排到我成套的動作，她是個很棒的人。國家隊的編舞者-Lucy Dimitrova也幫我很多。還有我的教練 Vera Stelbaums跟Irina Viner也參與創作。
– 你錯了。我怎麼可能表演我不喜歡的音樂? 這樣馬上就會失敗。當然，我的意見會考慮在內的。俄羅斯團隊裡有很睿智的人。
– 北京奧運之後，俄羅斯RG隊經歷了世代交替。Olga Kapranova跟Vera Sessina退休了，取而代之的是2個Darias，Dmitrieva跟Kondakova，還有Yana Lukonina。面對這些企圖心很強的後繼者，你有感覺到壓力嗎?
– 在隊裡你被稱為什麼呢? 如果這不是個祕密的話
– 我只留意男子花式溜冰。我支持Evgeny Plushchenko。
– 那Alina Kabaeva跟Irina Tchachina該怎麼說，她們兩個都曾因為被取消資格而錯失整個賽季。
– 你現在是住在Moscow 或 Omsk?
– 你媽媽擁有RG的”Master of Sports”頭銜，你曾給你任何建議嗎?
– 有時候。她甚至會對我說令人不悅的話。例如她會說: 你胖了半公斤，你在體操毯上看起來不怎麼好。媽媽總是說實話，而我很高興有這樣的忠告者。這比聽到你的親人說: “Wow! Zhenechka，你真是棒，來，吃個派!” 好的多。